Friday, March 7, 2014

Day 7- The Cover Shoes

Have you ever purchased something that almost took down your whole rationalization technique and structure because even you realize you just crossed the line into ridiculousness? The kind of purchase you could not even justify to yourself, but tossed all reason aside and bought it anyway. Have you had to pretend that you didn't do it? I don't mean the kind of "pretend you did not do it" where you leave it in the trunk of the car, sneak it in when the husband is out, wait a couple of weeks to wear it and then say "this old thing" when he notices. I mean the kind of "pretend you did not do it" where you have made yourself sick, you can not face the item, you need to forget it exists but still can't make yourself return it. The kind of "pretend you did not do it" where you have to deprive yourself of lunches to try to justify this stupid stupid purchase but still you refuse to un-do it. The kind of "pretend you did not do it" where you hide it from yourself and pray you can forget about it, while you try to figure out how to pay the electric bill...which you will do by skipping two meals a day all month.
Here is my "pretend I did not do it" :) Beauteous aren't they?
I saw these shoes at Nordstroms in November of 2011 and I left without them, by December I could not take it anymore and this thing where we can shop from the laptop, in bed, on a whim, in the middle of the night is BAD! I had no event to wear them to at this point that was in November, I am still cussing the super sweet sales girl that showed them to me in the first place and was trying to figure out if she could pick up a pair in King of Prussia in my size and deliver them to me, I still knew I should not buy them and  I could not afford them but they would be arriving in two days.
If it had not been for the small marble slab I dropped on my foot one week before my black tie event back in November I never would have seen them, because of that I had to go shopping for "comfy formal shoes" (yes I said that) and I know that sounds like regret...but it's not. I think it may have been worth the year it took my toe to heal because if it had not happened I never would have found my beautiful shoes. It was probably over six months before I actually wore them... to work (yes to work) and back in the box and into the attic they went. Really it's a sickness. On day 7 of the experiment I wore them to work again (wear #2) and on a weekend in Vegas shortly thereafter (wear #3) I got stuck in them (could not get back to the other shoes). With a comfort rating of 2, these babies can make 3 blisters and 2 cuts at the same time, they hurt even while sitting! Imagine the joys of getting stuck in them for 6 hours and walking 4 plus miles! I think there was a visible nerve ending hanging out of the side of my right ankle and I barely cared. There did however come a point that night when I had to take them off (to go into an ice bar) and when I came out I could not make my brain order my hands to help put them back on my feet...how did I pull that off you ask...well that's another post.





Wear 2 (June 2013)
December 2011
Cost $225
Comfort  2
Pair 7
* =Best Guess


No comments:

Post a Comment